Simple Butternut Squash Supper
This is a very simple way to enjoy a butternut squash, and is a tasty alternative to a baked potato :)
You will need:
1 Butternut Squash
Teaspoon of Olive oil
Knob of Butter
1 clove finely chopped Garlic (optional)
Cheddar Cheese (optional)
Chopped nuts (optional - use anything like mixed nuts, walnuts, pecans etc)
1. Preheat the oven to gas mark 5
2. Slice the squash in half length ways
3. Scoop out the seeds and fibres (dont throw away - see next recipe for roasted seeds, yum!)
4. Place a knob of butter in the hole, and if you like add some garlic too.
5. Brush the top with olive oil and season with black pepper, and sage too if you have it
6. Place on a baking sheet and bake for about an hour :)
7. Test to see if its ready by poking it with a knife, it should be very tender and smell delicious!
8. If you cant wait then eat it now!
9. If you can wait.. scoop out the middle with a spoon and put in a bowl, leaving a 1cm thick layer of flesh around the edge.
10. Mash it up and mix with grated cheese, and a small amount of mixed nuts if you like and season a bit more
11. Put the mash back in the squash, top with cheese and a few more nuts
12. Bake for a further 20 mins, or until the cheese is lovely and golden
13. Enjoy! I have mine with baked beans and salad yum yum :)