Tuesday, December 21, 2010
Lebkuchen - Christmas Biscuits
This recipe is adapted from Australian Womens Weekly "Big Book of Beautiful Biscuits"
You will need:
2 tablespoons Golden syrup
250g Plain Flour
1 teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda
1/2 teaspoon Ground Ginger
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon Cocoa powder
1 tablespoon milk
Jam - raspberry or blackberry
100g Dark Chocolate
1. Melt the butter in a saucepan, then add the golden syrup and bring to boil.
2. Remove from heat and leave to stand for 10 minutes
3. Add all the dry ingredients and milk. Stir well until smooth
4. Cover and leave to stand for an hour and half at room temperature, to allow mixture to form into a thick dough.
5. Once ready, turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead lightly, working in some of the flour until it loses its stickyness.
6. Using a rolling pin, roll out to about 8mm thick. Cut out into your desired shape (hearts are best!) and place on a baking sheet, lightly greased and with baking paper.
7. Using the end of a wooden spoon, gently poke a dent into the centre of the biscuit. Fill with half a teaspoon of jam.
8. Bake in the oven, Gas Mark 5 for 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden. Leave to cool on tray.
9. Once cold, melt the chocolate in a pyrex bowl over a pan of boiling water. Dip the base of the biscuit into the chocolate, and smooth off the excess choco with a knife.
10. Place jam side down on a foil lined tray and place in the fridge till choco is set.